Linkedin Social Media Myth Revealed

• Sharebar

Money on the Table 300x255 Linkedin Social Media Myth Revealed

I call it social media madness! So many social media sites and platforms that can overwhelm even the most experienced online marketing entrepreneur. However, these social sites — like — Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, YouTube and have you checked out Empire Avenue yet?!…. have proven to take businesses to the next level.

But there is a social media myth out there that I wanted to reveal. I can’t tell you how many times I hear …. “Linkedin is not for me.”

That is just plain wrong! In fact, if you are not using Linkedin in marketing your business, products or services – then you are leaving money on the table.

Linkedin has been for job seekers and job recruiters.  Large and small companies and corporations  use Linkedin when finding and recruiting executives.  While that is still true today, it is also true that Linkedin provides small online business and entrepreneurs with a huge platform for leveraging knowledge, ideas and opportunities.  Linkedin, in my opinion, is the elite social professional site to build your business with high credibility.  Build connections, alliances and more important, gain acceptance as an expert in your business.  This alone will attract more visitors to you, gain your trust and turn them into customers or clients.

The key to using Linkedin successfully, will be determined on the proper set up of your Linkedin profile.  This includes the appropriate  keywords, optimization and completeness of your information.

NEW– those of you wanting to gain more knowledge about Linkedin and its tremendous features, should visit and subscribe to my new YouTube channel – Linkedin Marketing Manger.  I will be personally sharing lots of tips, info and what I like to call my Linkedin Likes!

Recent comment from one of my online business associates:

“Hi Lynn, I agree with you and being a member of LinkedIn I do see the power in it. My problem is I just don’t spend as much time building relationships there as I should be. Thanks for this video and great reminder that I need to get back there and participate more.”   Richard Petrillo – www.workwithrichardp.com

Is there one thing about Linkedin that you would like to know more about?  Please share it here ….. thank you!

Comments

1. Lynn Brown says:

Oh I agree with you on that Lisa, that there are those not using Linkedin because they don’t know how to properly set it up or implement this awesome platform. Really appreciate you sharing your insight and advice on how Linkedin is working for you and your business. Glad you stopped by today and look forward to you visiting again soon!

2. Lisa Kanarek says:

Linked in definitely is a valuable resource. I think some people write it off because they don’t know how to use it or they don’t see immediate results. I’ve set up my twitter feed to post automatically to LinkedIn. That keeps my name in front of prospective clients and business contacts.I can attribute a few queries from prospects, to LinkedIn. Thanks for sharing info about the benefits of LinkedIn.

3. Lynn Brown says:

As I say to my clients, Linkedin is the largest professional social site on the planet! And I appreciate your support of this site Chris. Good to hear from you and I agree, it is a site that should not be ignored! Appreciate you stopping by and hope to see you again real soon.

4. Anonymous says:

You said it!  LinkedIn offers such great value that it can’t be ignored.  While it can be time consuming, it is worth the investment.  Great article Lynn.

5. Lynn Brown says:

Well that is awesome Dianne. You really have broken the Social Media Myth! Connecting with celebrities is another great way to bring awareness to your business. Really appreciate you sharing this as it will be very helpful and inspiring to others!

6. Dianne Tuttle says:

I would have never got Bob Eubanks on a cruise through my office without LinkedIn!  I’ve talked to speakers all over the world because of LinkedIn.

7. Lynn Brown says:

Really appreciate the kudos Jennifer! And I agree with you. Many small business owners, entrepreneurs and specialized professionals to seem to get bogged down or overwhelmed with social media. I find that setting up a 100% complete Linkedin profile not only will offer much more visibility and searchability, BUT you can take that profile and duplicate across all the other social sites.

Consistency is key. But implementing and executing is really requied. Appreciate you stopping in and offering your wonderful comments and good advice!

8. Jen Puckett says:

Leaving money on the table??!?!?! Oh hell no, lol!!! Great point Lynn! I think many people do just become so boggled down with all the social platforms that they tend to focus on one and excel at one. But, with all the tools and resources to assist with social media it is easier to set up and manage several accounts, so we should all share in the wealth!  Awesome YouTube channel you have as well.

9. Lynn Brown says:

Thanks Farnoosh for your enthusiastic support. I am meeting such wonderful
    people, like yourself, becasue of Linkedin. It really is a ‘powerhouse’
    that is proving to be a tremendous social platform. Glad you ‘came back’ to
    Linkedin and that it has been a great help to you and your business.

Appreciate you stopping by and hope you will be back to visit again soon.

10. Farnoosh says:

Lynn, LinkedIn rocks. I had no idea what a powerhouse it was until recently but I’ve used it a lot especially when I was still in my corporate job til about 2 months ago. As a blogger, writer, speaker, and podcaster, I wasn’t using it as much but when I came back, I learned so much more about it and I am LOVING the new connections and the group activity. Thank you for writing about it here.

11. Lynn Brown says:

Thanks Diana and I am going to be asking my current clients as well as some
    of my online biz associates like yourself, if a 4 week coaching course on
    Linkedin would be of interest. I have come across so many people that
    want more info on how to build a profile, join groups, start a group, and
    how to use Linkedin to attract and gain connections, build alliances and
    attract paying customers.

12. Diana Simon says:

Hi Lynn,

I am new so I need to learn everything.  I have a LinkedIn account but I haven’t been active at all.  Actually, dormant is more like it.  I will be subscribing to your YouTube Channel because I know you have many useful tips to share :)

Can’t wait!
    Diana

13. Diana Simon says:

Hi Lynn,

Can’t wait!
    Diana

14. Lynn Brown says:

That hit the nail on the head Jeannette. I agree with you 100%. Plus the
    relationships you build in Linkedin, for me, have been solid, long lasting
    connections and provided much benefit to my business. Really appreciate you
    stopping in and offering your feedback about Linkedin.

15. LinkedIn is a very different animal from Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites but one thing is the same.  In order to get the full advantage of it you need to build relationships.  LinkedIn makes it very easy to do that, and it’s my favorite site.

16. Lynn Brown says:

If you are asking Paula if adding our blog to your Linkedin profile, I would
    certainly say YES! Any information that you can share on your profile is a
    great way to get others attention and to learn more about you. Especially
    if your blog posts have eye grabbing titles (like Melanie Kissell’s blog!)
    or Hot Tips or New Topic, etc.

If that wasn’t what you meant, please let me know. I would be happy to help
    you.

Thank you so much for stopping in and getting into the discussion.

17. Lynn Brown says:

Thank you Samantha! … and I’m happy to hear how pleased you are with the
    Linkedin platform. Glad that you stopped by and shared your comments.

18. I’m comfortable with my reading blog and persona on LinkedIn. Yet my Almost 60? Really?? self seems so light-hearted and the topics are a mish-mash of things I care about. Eventually I’ll be adding in some affiliate links, and a few other minor money-oriented bits, but for now it’s really quite personal. Does that belong there? Thanks!

19. I wholeheartedly agree in how you describe LinkedIn as “elite,” Lynn! That’s definitely what I feel sets it apart from other social marketing venues. Looking forward to learning more as you develop this new venture! =)

20. Lynn Brown says:

Well said Roberta! And appreciate you joining me on my channel as well.
    Glad you stopped by!

21. Lynn Brown says:

Well that is wonderful Tambre I am glad that you enjoyed the video and
    Melanie had some great insight about Linkedin as well. I will be getting
    another video up tonight!

22. Lynn Brown says:

Thanks Janette for the subscribing and I also connected with you on Linkedin
    too! So glad to hear yet another way Linkedin groups are helping you and
    your business. Thank you for sharing your experience and look forward to
    sharing more with you over on Linkedin too.

23. Lynn Brown says:

Thanks Melanie! I agree with you as well, when Linkedin started it pretty
    much was all about resume building, B2B, job recruiting, etc. – and of
    course, it still is today. If you are looking for a job, Linkedin is a
    great way to start!

Today Linkedin now brings a huge potential for small business,
    entrepreneurs, mompreneurs, etc. to have a major presence and build
    credibility just like the big corporations and top executives. In fact, you
    have the potential to reach out to companies, not just individuals, if you
    have a product or service that may help them or they may want to joint
    venture in.

Appreciate giving us your feedback Melanie and how groups have provided
    another source to meeting others and building great connections!

24. Lynn Brown says:

I have been sent several invites to BranchOut and I have not accepted only
    because I have been on Linkedin and enjoying building my connections there.
    I guess it depends Tambre, if you feel more comfortable with Branch Out and
    they have features that help you and your business, I say go with it. I
    have not seen the features of Branch Out to compare the two.

Linkedin continues to grow, they hit a milestone of over 100 million users!
    They continue to add more features to make it a better platform that can be
    suited towards your needs as a professional, entrepreneur, corporate
    executive, etc.

Appreciate you stopping by and sharing this with us.

25. I feel like a case of deja vu. Two people writing on this topic in my small circle in one week. LinkedIn is important and not enough business people understand the credibility that LinkedIn can provide

26. Just watched your video…now I wanna learn how to make more of it…darn it!  I was trying to ignore yet another site to attend to but Melanie Kissell and your video made me rethink this and recognize I have had a lot of success connecting to niche related people and making things happen with them.  Can’t wait to see more videos on this topic, Lynn.  Excellent work.

27. I just started using LinkedIn a couple of months ago. I am thrilled with the information that I am getting from the LinkedIn Groups. I have joined several groups and connected with several authors and book reviewers. The book that I reviewed on my blog yesterday was the result of a connection that I made on LinkedIn.
    I just subscribed to your new YouTube Channel ~ Looks great!

28. Wonderful new channel on YouTube, Lynn!  Best of luck to you with it!

I think lots of biz owners tend to overlook or discount LinkedIn as a valuable social media marketing platform..  They’re probably locked into a mindset of it being used only as a job-hunting or recruiting venue.  Not so!  And I love the groups on LinkedIn.  They consist of people who are true professionals and they’re not just hanging out there to chit-chat or play games.  They mean business!  And I really appreciate that about LinkedIn.  I’ve met some of the neatest people there and I bet you have, too. :)

29. Is there any possibility of the new Branch Out application on Facebook will take over Linked In?  It can grab your profile from Linked In and dump it right into the new app.  I signed up briefly but then the idea of starting over with yet another networking site, recommending people, etc. was just too much to consider adding to my already heavy social media schedule.  If Branch Out has the potential to replace Linked In then I might consider it.